1 (edited by Fusion? 2014-08-27 18:36:44)

Topic: A Beginner's Guide to Touhou Project V2 (MoF Preparation, SWR Casting)

*** This thread is constantly under construction. That is, until the most recent Touhou game is covered. ***

The following video is something I whipped up to get the message across. This is the first in a series of videos I plan to do that hopefully explains the Touhou series as it is, and what I've picked up from it. I noticed there wasn't one, so... why not? We'll show the newcomers everything they need to know. Pardon the... goofy intro, too.

Why am I showing you, the people that already know about Touhou, this? To put it bluntly, I'm prone to making mistakes. I need your help to catch any of them I might make, so as to not misinform people.

And yes, this is an invitation to play, like my other J-Plays. If you'd like to submit a replay (any character, doesn't matter. Just Normal difficulty, though, unless stated otherwise) that would be appreciated, as I can do commentary over that, discussing music, gameplay mechanics, etc. (I still haven't gotten any better at Fairy Wars. orz) Memes will either be completely ignored or at least explained so that people aren't left in the dark, although memes are annoying to begin with. I'm still debating that one.

If you want to participate in:

The shooters- look at the list below, and post a link to your replay. Normal difficulty only. Make sure you also specify who you used and which game you played, to avoid confusion. DO NOT skip the dialogue- read it as you normally would.

The fighters- record a live session of your game, and add any commentary of your choosing (real-time spoken, post-recording written, etc.). Again, DO NOT skip the dialogue. Once you're done send the necessary files to me via a file-sharing service, preferably Mediafire.

Each game will have multiple parts that I plan to upload simultaneously. This holds especially true for the versus games, which contain a relatively large amount of playable characters.

The list:

EoSD

- Intro and gameplay
- Stage 1 (ReimuB, explain interface, Rumia) (KanakoVoWG)
- Stage 2 (MarisaA, explain music, Cirno) (Fusion?)
- Stage 3 (ReimuA, explain art, Meiling) (KanakoVoWG)
- Stage 4 (MarisaB, explain patterns and spellcards, Patchouli) (Sik-07)
- Stage 5 (MarisaA, "Don't ever give up, my son", Sakuya) (KanakoVoWG)
- Stage 6 (ReimuA, the perp, Remilia) (Fusion?)
- Extra Stage (Marisa, extra stages, Flandre) (PseudoMcNym)

PCB

- Intro and new playable Sakuya
- Stage 1 (SakuyaA, explain changes in interface, Letty) (Nan0teck)
- Stage 2 (ReimuB, fan-depictions, Chen) (ZEROGRAVITY-A01!)
- Stage 3 (MarisaA, the Forest of Magic, Cherry+ and CherryMax, Alice) (Sik-07)
- Stage 4 (MarisaB, dialogue, Lily White, the Prismriver family) (Fusion?)
- Stage 5 (SakuyaB, the Netherworld, Youmu, the Konpaku bloodline and Youmu's swords) (Nan0teck) (KanakoVoWG)
- Stage 6 (ReimuA, the perp, Yuyuko, the Saigyou Ayakashi, survival spells) (KanakoVoWG)
- Extra Stage (ReimuA, the difference between watching and playing, Ran) (Fusion?)
- Phantasm Stage (ReimuB, distinguishing Extra and Phantasm, fanmade Phantasms, Yukari) (raak)

IaMP

- Intro and controls (basic mechanics, spellcards and such. Story branch included)
- Reimu: DeathDruidX (DeathDruidX)
- Marisa: Sour (Sour)
- Sakuya: MassPower (Fusion?)
- Youmu: gon (TailsFiraga)
- Patchouli: Fusion? (Fusion?)
- Alice: gon (gon)
- Remilia: Parodyres (Parodyres)
- Yukari: Inu Kunai (Inu Kunai)
- Yuyuko: Night4ce (Night4ce)
- Suika (Intro included): Fusion? (Fusion?)

IN

- Intro, intro to Spell Practice, Moon theft, and new playables Yukari, Alice, Remilia, Youmu and Yuyuko
- Stage 1 (Scarlet, explain changes in interface, Wriggle, Last Spells) (raak)
- Stage 2 (Yuyuko, joke depictions, Mystia) (Fusion?)
- Stage 3 (Magic, the Human Village, Keine) (Fusion?)
- Stage 4A (Scarlet, the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, fighting a main character?, Reimu (in-depth)) (raak)
- Stage 4B (Youmu, the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, fighting the other main character?, Marisa (in-depth)) (Dodgeball)
- Stage 5 (Border, Eientei, rabbits, Reisen, joke depictions again) (raak)
- Stage 6A (Magic, more than one final boss?, Eirin, sealing the Earth, concepts of impurity, who's that?) (KanakoVoWG)
- Stage 6B (Border, coincidence with sealed doors and the true full moon, Kaguya, the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and the Five Impossible Requests, the Hourai Elixir and hiding from lunar emissaries, Imperishable Night's End, Last Words) (KanakoVoWG)
- Extra Stage (Border, extra backstory, Keine's transformation, the moon drives people mad, Mokou, relations with Kaguya, how Mokou became immortal as well) (Dodgeball)
- Character Profile: Hieda no Akyuu
- Character Profile: Rinnosuke Morichika
- Character Profile: The Watatsuki Sisters
- Character Profiles: Renko Usami and Maribel Hearn

PoFV

- Intro, gameplay and new playables Cirno, Tewi, Reisen, Mystia, and Lyrica (Flanp0p, Nan0teck, Fusion?, Carrot, Miruru)
- Character Stats
- Fundamentals
- Stage 7 (Cirno): Reintro to Yuuka
- Stage 7 (Tewi): Intro to Tewi and Medicine
- Stage 7 (Youmu): Intro to Aya
- Stage 8: (Reisen) Intro to Komachi, the Sanzu River
- Final Stage (Sakuya): Intro to Shikieiki, the Yama, judgment methods
- Extra Mode (Komachi & Eiki, Stages 8 and Final): A Flower Blooming Violet Once Every Sixty Years, the 60-year cycle

StB

- Intro, gameplay and sole playable Aya
- RACE (L1-7, L5-EX?), multiple videos depending on length.

MoF

- Intro, faith deficiencies and a request to shut the Hakurei Shrine, only Reimu and Marisa again
- Stage 1 (Marisa-C, explain changes in interface, Shizuha and Minoriko) (Dodgeball)
- Stage 2 (Marisa-B (non-bugged), the Great Youkai Forest, Hina) (Miruru)
- Stage 3 (Marisa-A, it’s dangerous here, Nitori) (Sik-07)
- Stage 4 (Reimu-C, the Youkai Mountain, Momiji, Aya) (DangoBFC)
- Stage 5 (Reimu-B, Moriya Shrine, Sanae) (ZEROGRAVITY-A01!)
- Stage 6 (Reimu-A, the perpetrator and her motives, Kanako) (KanakoVoWG)
- Extra Stage (Reimu-C, another god?, curiosity, the Great Suwa War, Suwako) (KanakoVoWG)

SWR

- Intro, differences between SWR and IaMP, story branch
- Reimu:
- Marisa: Immac (?)
- Sakuya:
- Youmu:
- Alice: Immac (?)
- Patchouli: kinothewolf (kinothewolf)
- Remilia:
- Yukari:
- Yuyuko:
- Suika:
- Reisen:
- Aya:
- Komachi: Diodetheonewaybastard (?)
- Iku: Fusion? (Fusion?)
- Tenshi: MassPower/SomaPrews

Possible Entrants

-------------------------------------------------------

PROGRESS TABLE:

- URL: Completed and uploaded. Enjoy!
- Red: Complete, but not uploaded. Usually due to other videos in the set not being completed.
- Gold: In progress. This usually means the footage from the replay is recorded, and not properly edited.
- Black: On queue. Not recorded.
- Blue: The player.
- Green: The commentator. Usually the same person.

--------------------------------------------------------

OTHER LINKS:

- Zorak's playthrough of the PC-98 games, and EoSD.
- Rising-Grandpa's Touhou thread, picking up where Zorak left off.
- A Touhou Project panel, at Youmacon 2011.
- Another Touhou panel, at Youmacon 2012.
- Yet another Touhou panel at Youmacon 2013.

Re: A Beginner's Guide to Touhou Project V2 (MoF Preparation, SWR Casting)

Loving this project. keep it up!

After what seems like forever, PCB is almost finisherd!

Fuse just needs to do Extra and Phantasm and we're through!

Shifting Worlds has moved here!! Come and join us!

Also known as Mr. Hood.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/vVv_Voided.png

Yay! can't wait for the next part of the set! I really enjoyed the first part.

Oh, only the Yukari fight is left? I can't wait! big_smile

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cqy4gh.png
Lulu: VEGGY!!! <3
Veigar: UNHAND ME YOU WOMAN!!!

raak wrote:

Oh, only the Yukari fight is left? I can't wait! big_smile

Yeah, me neither.

Fuse and I need to discuss some things about IN, methinks. I've been pushing for some way for us to reflect the teammates aspect of the game. I did suggest that we alternate characters, but he doesn't particularly like that idea, but I will persist!

Also known as Mr. Hood.

7 (edited by Fusion? 2012-02-18 17:15:53)

I am contemplating it, though. The main thing conflicting the concept Kanako mentioned is that I would like to personally speak about as many of the characters and address as much of canon/fanon as possible, while maintaining the list, and getting other peoples' opinion about the same.

A way around this, I think, is to relay my thoughts on the matter to him, so that both of us have our say. What I'm worried about, though, is how our commentary styles might clash in the process. And then there's syncing it with the stage...

On the progress front, however, all I need do at this point is finish the commentary for Yukari, and then it'll be up a day or two after I finalize the editing. Thanks for the support, you guys; even though I realize I'm moving slowly with the project I still appreciate it.

Your concerns make sense,  but I guess it just doesn't feel like we're being a team, or something.

I don't know, we still have to get through IaMP, so we can still brainstorm while we work on that (well, you, anyways; I have no place to comment on the fighters at all)

Also known as Mr. Hood.

Yes! Haha!

Thank Sanae, all of the videos for PCB are done! Now all that's left is to upload! Keep an eye out!

11 (edited by S1nZ 2012-03-08 12:48:54)

just finished watching the lot of them. Very good overall, entertaining as always. left my opinion on Chen as a comment. the endings of the final and extra stage though... .gave me shivers,in a good way. on the whole, GOOD JOB! will humbly await for the next portion smile

Very enjoyable and funny. I loved all the jokes and info about the characters, as well as that one Sonic reference. I look forward to IaMP and all other future installments of your series.

Finished watching them. Great videos. Can't wait for the next segment.

http://sonohara.donmai.us/data/45814e9691511213eb325470c7432024.gif

.......Are they even being subtle anymore?
...Oh well, all together now. Aaaaaawwwww....

Important fact you missed about stage 4: you can choose who to fight in the middle of the fight by shooting that boss the most during their first team spellcard.

Also obligatory.

Great work (b'.')b.

Yukari's foreshadowing in in Ran's  video gave me the chills!

Hey, if you ever get up to tackling Subterranean Animism, I want to do Koishi, Utsuho and/or Rin. big_smile

Trixbeat wrote:

Important fact you missed about stage 4: you can choose who to fight in the middle of the fight by shooting that boss the most during their first team spellcard.

That goes into strategy, and I'll let them figure that out on their own. Like we did. ;P

"Are you telling them how to beat the game, Joiner? Don't do that." and such. That aside, I'm glad this turned out so well so far; I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief right now.

Just as another aside...

SPOILER Show
How many of you noticed that Chen and Ran were clickable in the stage select?

I noticed. Didn't bother to click though...

I'd be willing to play StB and do a Skype commentary/provide some replays for it when the time comes... It is still my favorite game, though I'm probably rusty at it by now.
And about the PoFV replays, I don't quite understand what you're asking for. Do you want me to play each character that can fight *character* and give you the replays for the dialog and gameplay against her, as well as play as them?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bombbug/Touhou/teddybyZOMB13_zps301fcbee.png       http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bombbug/Touhou/rondogrow_zps4812481d.gif

19 (edited by Fusion? 2012-03-09 01:35:11)

Carrot wrote:

I'd be willing to play StB and do a Skype commentary/provide some replays for it when the time comes... It is still my favorite game, though I'm probably rusty at it by now.
And about the PoFV replays, I don't quite understand what you're asking for. Do you want me to play each character that can fight *character* and give you the replays for the dialog and gameplay against her, as well as play as them?

Excellent. I'll put you down on the list.

As for PoFV, I'm not sure myself. Each character's story is pretty much the same in the sense of "Something must be wrong">fight random people>get judged by Yama>"Oh, I guess there's nothing wrong after all", with minimal difference (Cirno fights Yuuka, but not Medicine; Tewi fights Medicine, but not Yuuka). So I might want to have mini-videos for the regular cast, (Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Reisen, Tewi, Cirno, Mystia, Lyrica) and then longer videos for the unlockables and new characters. (Aya, Yuuka, Medicine, Komachi, Yama. Tewi too in case I don't focus on her in IN.) Something like that.

Bah, I'm ignoring your question. To be on the safe side, yes, I'd like replays of each character's story mode. I'll update the list with the above, too, so that you know what to get.

EDIT: Doned.

20 (edited by Carrot 2012-03-09 01:13:53)

Alright, I'll try to get two replays for each character, so I can show the various characters you fight and their dialog, but there's one problem...
My translation for PoFV works, but sometimes the text gets "cut off", as if the text thinks the text box is bigger than it is, so you can't read the last word on the right more than occasionally.
If no one here knows how to fix this, I'll ask elsewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bombbug/Touhou/teddybyZOMB13_zps301fcbee.png       http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bombbug/Touhou/rondogrow_zps4812481d.gif

Do you have the Cirno font installed on your computer? English translations use this font for the dialogue, and if it can't be found, it uses a regular font that's larger than Cirno is.

Ah, I found it, thank you.
I figured out there was a little readme in my PoFV folder that told me to copy it to my fonts folder, I should've looked before asking. =3=

Fusion? wrote:

As for PoFV, I'm not sure myself. Each character's story is pretty much the same in the sense of "Something must be wrong">fight random people>get judged by Yama>"Oh, I guess there's nothing wrong after all", with minimal difference

made my day lololol

play my 2hu games lul
http://eastgap.net/mystiadashbannersmall.fw.png  http://eastgap.net/winterspringbannersmall.png

Btw, how did you like Stage 5?

That was me doing the voicing, obviously, and while I'd like to do this again (see: my idea for IN), I also realized that it'd be no use if everyone doesn't like me (which would make me safface, but dems the breaks).

Honest criticisms are really welcome!

Also known as Mr. Hood.

KanakoVoWG wrote:

Btw, how did you like Stage 5?

That was me doing the voicing, obviously, and while I'd like to do this again (see: my idea for IN), I also realized that it'd be no use if everyone doesn't like me (which would make me sadface, but dems the breaks).

Honest criticisms are really welcome!

It's too early to tell right now, in both the sense that it's only been up for two days now, and the sense that this'll be a group project more than anything else, especially after IaMP. Results take time.

If I had to criticize, one thing I did notice immediately (that I'm certain isn't your fault, and I mean no offense by) is that you're a bit more nasal than I am, which might interfere with certain pronunciations.