Topic: Doujinstyle's "Important message"

I don't visit this site often, since there isn't as much activity here as there used to be, but today I noticed the giant "IMPORTANT MESSAGE. PLEASE READ" banner at the top of the page. Yet, when I click on it, I just get send to Doujinstyle's front page. Is the banner old, and has the message already been removed, and did I just miss it? Or is this an error that happens to other users as well?

My soundcloud | My netlabel on Bandcamp | My artistpage on Facebook
Feel free to contact me for remix duties, collaborations, commissions, etc.

Re: Doujinstyle's "Important message"

Huh. That's a very recent change.

It used to direct you to a page talking about this forum's shutdown. Now, that's gone...

what did you do this time holy

"If you give a man a bullet, he'll want a gun. If you give a man a gun, he'll be the one giving out the bullets."

ΣΔΜ wrote:

It used to direct you to a page talking about this forum's shutdown. Now, that's gone...

Hmm, maybe a sticky thread would be a decent alternative.

So this place is shutting down, huh? Or is the missing message a sign that the forums will still be around for a while?

I would hope the latter, but who knows what's going through holy's mind at any given moment

"If you give a man a bullet, he'll want a gun. If you give a man a gun, he'll be the one giving out the bullets."

Nova wrote:
ΣΔΜ wrote:

Hmm, maybe a sticky thread would be a decent alternative.

So this place is shutting down, huh? Or is the missing message a sign that the forums will still be around for a while?

Everyone has moved to a Discord server iirc

ΣΔΜ wrote:

I would hope the latter, but who knows what's going through holy's mind at any given moment

The end is nigh monkaS

http://i.imgur.com/QDLXRNY.png

yep nope forums are still gonna die

Ah yes, the announcement is now on the main site's front page. Well, at least that's cleared up. I'm curious about the "a new system that will be much better for this site", though. I wonder if it'll be similar to dojin.co? But I guess we'll find it out eventually, when it happens.

Well, it's sad to see another community switch to yet another proprietary messaging service AKA Discord, which I refuse to use for oh-so-many reasons (the main one being having to install yet another bloated proprietary client "app" meant mainly for cellphones and high-end PCs). I don't get why the insane love for Discord (or Slack/Whatsapp/etc) - the trend of moving to those proprietary junk is alarming to someone used to standards that work everywhere (namely: forums, IRC)

To me this change equals DoujinStyle being dead for good - I'm not going to install Discord just to contribute or participate on the community (and yes, while I haven't been that active here, I've shared quite some of my time and stuff over here, really liked the place enough to register on the forum and post). C'est la vie hmm

Also, fuck Discord forever.

Well, you know, you could just login in your browser and not install anything.

http://i.imgur.com/QDLXRNY.png

tomman wrote:

Well, it's sad to see another community switch to yet another proprietary messaging service AKA Discord, which I refuse to use for oh-so-many reasons (the main one being having to install yet another bloated proprietary client "app" meant mainly for cellphones and high-end PCs). I don't get why the insane love for Discord (or Slack/Whatsapp/etc) - the trend of moving to those proprietary junk is alarming to someone used to standards that work everywhere (namely: forums, IRC)

To me this change equals DoujinStyle being dead for good - I'm not going to install Discord just to contribute or participate on the community (and yes, while I haven't been that active here, I've shared quite some of my time and stuff over here, really liked the place enough to register on the forum and post). C'est la vie hmm

Also, fuck Discord forever.

But, Electron apps! They're the future! /s

Signature image too large. Please read the image rules. - Staff

Zu wrote:

Well, you know, you could just login in your browser and not install anything.

That's an even worse proposition, y'know.

Modern webapps are nothing but poorly coded bloated Javascript clusterfucks that assrape your CPU in exchange for... what, cute emojis? Thanks but no thanks. The modern Web is barely useable as-is thanks to this mess, while forums work just fine even on old toasters. But I guess I'm a dinosaur for not wanting to follow trends.

Also, I see Discord at its core as nothing but a glorified chat application. But a chat protocol that doesn't welcome 3rd-party clients is not good on my book. See, I was a MSN Messenger user for over a decade, but since the official MS clients were bloated crap even back in 2006, I was thankful that I could use my account with Gaim (later Pidgin) - yes, MS often tried to block that, but at the end they let it slide - more users are always good, right?

Then Skype happened.

When MS decided that it was a great idea to kill a mostly-interoperable (but still proprietary) protocol in favor of a heavily locked down "app", I decided it was time to let it go. I only keep my MSN login for Microsoft-related services (which I don't even use nowadays). The same thing happened with Google Talk. With Whatsapp and QQ it's even worse: they will BAN your account should you ever get caught using a 3rd-party client (and that's when they don't intentionally break them by changing their undocumented web APIs). The last thing I want is to install separate "apps" for every single protocol, or bringing my browser memory/CPU footprint to unusable levels.

If you like Discord, great - more power to you. But some of us prefer simple things that can be accessed everywhere. No, I'm not one of those "paranoid nutters" or "open source fanboys" - I'm just sick of the smartphone generation and their consequences.(dumbed-down user interfaces, "Progressive Web Apps", one app for everything, proprietary protocols up the wazoo, etc). Get off my lawn, blah blah blah, etc.

13 (edited by SillyPeruvian 2018-01-13 16:43:57)

What's so bad about having a single app for a single purpose? I prefer this way over having a single piece of software trying to do everything and hogging more resources than 10 applications using a fraction of those resources serving the same purposes except separated from each other.

Though I can agree with you on the other points, but alas, the "smartphone generation" silently condones and perpetuates the use of Electron-based software everywhere "because it integrates things" which comes directly against my ideas explained in the first paragraph.

14 (edited by tomman 2018-01-13 17:03:01)

SillyPeruvian wrote:

What's so bad about having a single app for a single purpose? I prefer this way over having a single piece of software trying to do everything and hogging more resources than 10 applications using a fraction of those resources serving the same purposes except separated from each other.

Exactly! And for those that don't get the point: ever used Pidgin? (or similar freeware/opensource multiprotocol IM clients) That thing sips RAM, uses next to no CPU, and can get you connected with dozens of accounts on different services at the same time, keeping things neatly organized, letting you quickly access the account/protocol you need to use easily (and as a bonus, you get Mac/Linux/Windows compatibility for free) Instead, let's check what the modern "apps" use:

- Slack: Electron (the Slack app is one of the worst offenders with regards of CPU usage - I've seen reports of the Slack client bringing down hi-end octa-core PCs with 32GB RAM down to its knees when it decides to leak RAM like mad)
- Discord: Electron
- Whatsapp: Until recently, there was nothing but an horrible web client. Now, there is a UWP app for Win10, but last time I tested, UWP apps perform like ass on my Sandy Bridge i5 laptop, and are too cellphone-y
- LINE: Does it even work with PCs?
- QQ: The last time I tried, it had two separate web clients (!!!): one that pretended to be an iPhone (yuck), and another that emulated a Windows desktop, complete with useless widgets. No thanks.
- Skype: Where do I even begin? The Linux client has always been a 3rd-class citizen, and the Windows one gets even worse with each update after getting infected with the phoneworms
- Steam: CEF+Valve-quality frontends. Ugh. I love Steam, but as an messaging platform it's worse than half-assed (it's 2018 yet you can't even change the font size for chats, WTF?!)

None of those allow to bring 3rd-party clients (except for Skype, with an explicit ban for open-source clients from using SkypeKit), so no Pidgin for me (outside of flimsy RE'd plugins that break frequently - I already had a very nasty experience with pidgin-lwqq thanks to Tencent)

Where I live, RAM is expensive as fuck, and even if I lived in a normal country with affordable technology, I wouldn't be wasting my money just to run five separate IM applications at a time. That's what not computers were made for.

SillyPeruvian wrote:

Though I can agree with you on the other points, but alas, the "smartphone generation" silently condones and perpetuates the use of Electron-based software everywhere "because it integrates things" which comes directly against my ideas explained in the first paragraph.

Unfortunately cute emojis trump efficiency and openness hmm

libpurple is Mark Spencer's gift to humankind. If I were to use Skype again, it would be through Pidgin plugins.

It's too bad humankind doesn't accept these gifts if they don't "look pretty",  have no "cute emojis" or doesn't "integrate without me having to do anything".